Pages

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week One Day One

Summer Learning Journey


This holiday I will be doing the summer learning journey. When I was at South Hornby School we did the winter learning journey. Today I will be learning about . . . Arriving in New Zealand


Activity 1:
For activity 1 we had to read and article about Maui and how he fished up the great big fish. then we had to post three things that we learned about Maui.

Fact 1: Maui's brothers thought he was useless.
Fact 2: He fished up the biggest fish in his time.
Fact 3: His town people thought he was the greatest fisherman ever. 

Here is the link to the story Maui and the big fish


Activity 2:
For activity 2 we had to write a letter to a (Imaginary) friend and tell them what it would be like to be on a waka sailing to New Zealand and we had to tell them how we felt.

Dear Friend,

Right now I am sailing to Aotearoa in my waka and i have been sea sick a few times. I hope we are there soon I just want a cooked meal. I feel excited to be going somewhere new but Sad because I will miss you.

From Hayley


Bonus Activity:
For the bonus activity we had to watch a video about the Waka Ama Races. The Waka Ama Races are when a group of men or woman race 5 other teams of 7 in waka's. Then we had to say whether or not we would like to race or not then explain why.

I would like to race in the Waka Ama races because its a team sport and it looks like a lot of fun.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hayley,

    This is Jade C from the Summer Learning Journey blogging team. I will be reading and commenting on your blog posts along with Jade F, Hazel, Rachel, and many other bloggers :)

    First of all, it's awesome to that you've made a start to the programme. It's nice to be here to read and comment on your amazing blog!

    For the first activity, this was all about Maui and his achievement. Even though his brothers were mean to him and did not believe in Maui, Maui tried to do his best. I've learnt from this story that you can achieve and be successful if you do your best.

    I like the letter that you wrote to your friend. It sounds very personal and I was able to imagine the scene. Do you struggle from sea sickness when you are on the boat? I get car-sick when I sit at the back and drive for a long time.

    Yes! I too, want to participate in the waka ama race because it looks a lot of fun -especially when you get to do it with your friends! It would develop your team work and collaborative working skills! It would be a sport to do on a sunny day.

    I enjoyed reading your work Hayley! I would love to be back to read more of your other activity posts :)

    All the best,
    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jade. Thank you for all the feedback. I have never been on a boat before but I do get car sickness when I travel to Dunedin.

    Thanks
    Hayley.

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.