Pages

Wednesday 19 December 2018

SJL Day 3 Awesome animals

Today is the third day of the Summer Learning Journey this year. The theme for this year is The World Around Us. This weeks activities are called A place to stand.

Activity 1: Fantastic Beasts

For this activity we had to watch and read the preview of JK Rowling's new book 'Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.' Then we had to make our own beast and describe it and make the readers think it's real.

My beast is a living breathing morphed dragon. Her colours remind you of a real life fire, dancing in the wind. If you touch her her teeth will sink into your soul and skin you like you are an animal. Her scales feel like rotten wood that has been sitting in the woods for years. Her smell is like a dead candle mixed with burnt flesh. When she roars she sounds like a spine chilling lion that is transforming into her dragon self.

Activity 2: The secretive skink

For this activity we had to learn about lizards, geckos and skinks. We had to learn about one skink in particular. The Chevron Skink. The Chevron skink is an endangered species that live in Great Barrier Island and Little Barrier Island. Then we had to learn about the DOC rangers. DOC stands for Department of conservation. Very little people live on those island because the government want to keep them safe. Once we had finished that we had to list the pros and cons for being a DOC ranger.

Image result for chevron skinkPros:
1. Get to be involved with animals.
2. Get to live on peaceful islands
3. The staff are always friendly

Cons: 
1. Not many people on the island so would be lonely
2. There is not many people so there would not be much to do
3. We would have to be away from our family

I would like to be a DOC ranger because it's peaceful and your protecting something in this world that is important.

Activity 3. The WWF World Wildlife Fund

didn't get finished






3 comments:

  1. Hi Hayley,

    Me again :)

    Wow! You have an amazing imagination. You've used some beautifully descriptive language; I can picture your beast perfectly in my mind. What kinds of things does your fantastic beast eat? Where does she live?

    You've stated some great reasons for and against becoming a DOC ranger. I hadn't thought about how lonely it might be, but I think the pros would outweigh the cons. And you're right; protecting our native animals and natural environment is a very important job. One of my friends used to work for DOC and he LOVED it! What animals would you most like to work with?

    Another great post Hayley, well done! :)

    Blog ya later,

    Mikey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hayley. My name is Mr Cairns. I'm starting at Hornby High School this year and we are reading student blogs today.

    I enjoyed reading about your Fantastic Beast. Your imagination is great and I think it is so cool that your work involved J.K.Rowling's book. I love Harry Potter and the Wizarding World.

    Your research into lizards, geckos and skinks made me think about how complex and interesting the natural world is. I learned some things!
    I wonder why the Chevron Skink is endangered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hayley,
    I'm Miss Abernethy, and I will be a new teacher at Hornby this year. I have enjoyed seeing all your thoughts around nature- when I was younger I wanted to work for DOC too!
    I hope I'll see you in Science/Biology at some point, that is what I teach, and will be helpful for learning about plants and animals :)

    Your information on skinks and DOC is great- have you ever seen one before?

    Miss A

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.